Peacocks in Magnolia Tree

Peacocks in Magnolia Tree
24" X 60" Alkyd and Gold Leaf on Board

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

An Excitement of Emus


Today I finished my Amorous Emus painting, and it makes me smile. Everyone needs something silly to smile about, and that's what Emus do for me. They make me smile. They are a very curious bird with attitude. I enjoyed painting their silly smiles, leering looks, and especially the disgruntled humbug attitude of the Emu who hates spring and all the fancy free flirting and fighting it brings. These illustrations are just for the fun of it. Not heavy duty serious painting, but painting for the joy of it. The good thing about being an artist, and having the ability to illustrate whatever I see and love means the possibilities are endless. My Iris are blooming one day so I go in the garden and paint plein aire or photograph and compose a painting in the studio. Or I go out side with my sketch book in hand, and draw Iris studying them for a realistic botanical study. I look out the kitchen window, and my roses are blooming and it seems impossible to convey their beauty, scent, and loveliness. I photograph and post a picture which also doesn't convey their scent, beauty, and the birds that tend them. I'm not in any gallery, and I can't seem to get into an art show, and perhaps I'm not whatever a "True" Artist is by today's standards, but I know I'm a good artist nevertheless. I hope you enjoy the silly art I make just as much as the "serious" art. No matter what it's all art, and it brings me satisfaction to do it. Paint on oh fellow artists. Paint what intrigues you and what you love. Life is an adventure embrace it, and pursue what you love and enjoy. Write when you get work, and find time to smell the roses!

No comments: