Peacocks in Magnolia Tree

Peacocks in Magnolia Tree
24" X 60" Alkyd and Gold Leaf on Board

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Emus "Hop on Pop"


I've been working on the last of the Emus paintings for a while, and it's almost complete this evening except for some little touches I want to do in the light of day. It's title is Hop on Pop, and it's just a fun memory of childhood put into Emu land. If anyone out there owns chicks (baby chickens) and have watched them jump on a rabbit or a dog or a slightly larger duck just to see what they can see, then you will understand where this idea came from. It's also something anyone with brothers and sisters has experienced playing king of the mountain, on a mound of snow, or a pile of rocks, or a small grassy hill. I photographed more plants today, the roses, and a beautiful pink flowering cactus type plant my neighbor gave to me, and of course more Iris. I've been busy, and thus have of course neglected household duties for artistic ones.

Women are always torn between wifely duties and obligations, and their personal desire to neglect everything except artistic pursuits. Obviously, I'm speaking from my own personal psyche and experience. One always tries to achieve some form of balance, but with arthritic knees I'm a failure at any form of balance what so ever. However, being a good cook does tend to make up for major house cleaning failures, at least I hope it does. For all those hard working artists out there, men and women, keep painting and follow your dreams. Life is not a dress rehearsal, and as I tell my mother, I don't think there is a prize right before you die for the cleanest house in the world. Hope you like the painting, and I hope you don't give up your dreams. Paint on, and write when you get work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your fantastic gift of paint and words. We are proud owners of a pair of Emus and I am waiting for them to begin to lay. I hope you continue to paint and I love this painting.
Jeannette Famoso, Carson City, NV