Peacocks in Magnolia Tree

Peacocks in Magnolia Tree
24" X 60" Alkyd and Gold Leaf on Board

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Handpainted Needlepoint Canvases Working out the Details

I'm still painting on Needlepoint Rugs, Pillows, and 10 Inch Inserts.  When I finish one group then I add some new ones to the mix.  I'm also changing some of the breeds of birds in the Crowned Jewels, when I put the design on Pillows or Inserts.  Changes things up a bit, and I can see if a different color or bird might be more interesting.  These are all original samples, and I have a little more freedom when painting them.  The Rug has to have tight details painted on the Hummingbird, and the Amazon Parrot on the Right will get his cute, curious face painted in today.  The Hyacinth Macaw has his three coats of Ultramarine Blue, and his darks and highlights painted in.  Now I just have to refine all the details and finish him.  I don't think there will be any background color painted.  The original has blue black, but I've been asked to leave the background free from paint to leave the color up to the buyer and Needlepoint stitcher.  Here are the canvases I worked on all of yesterday:
This is the large Rug Image 30" X 40" and I put on more coats of paint for uniform coverage yesterday, and worked on the lower right parrots, the wings and tail feathers of the Peacock, the face and feathers of the Crowned Crane, more coats on Ultramarine Blue to the Hyacinth Macaw, and painted the faces of the upper left parrots.

 Today I will finished the Red Spectacled Parrot, the Crowned Crane, the hummingbird, and the last parrot on the right.  I like all the highlights, and the deep darks that define the images to be just right, and the image to have a cohesive look and glow to it.
 The Eyes of the Peacock need a little more clean up and definition, I like the Toucan, and these lower Parrots are just about finished.
 I took pictures of my Parrot Marconi in our Grape Arbor many years ago, and that is how I came up with this design for these 20" X 20" Pillow Canvases.  That said I did 3 30" X 30" Gold Leaf Alkyd and Oil Paintings of these images, and the pillow designs are just pieces of the larger works of art.
 This is my Marconi in among my grapes at my old house, enjoying the arbor and the coolness of grapes.  This is the start of a 20" X 20" Pillow Design.

 This is another in the series of Mexican Double Yellow Headed Parrots stealing grapes.  This is a 20" X 20" Canvas, and I'm painting it in Acrylics.
 This is an almost finished but the border 20" X 20" Pillow Design changed a little from the "Crowned Jewels" design, but I would still co-ordinate and decorate the same room as the Crowned Jewels Rug.  I have wanted to paint a Toco Toucan, and the two parrots at the bottom are mine...Carmen on the Left and Marconi on the Right.
 This is the other 20" X 20" Pillow painted to co-ordinate with the Crowned Jewels Rug, but not to copy it exactly.

 Keelbilled Toucan painted, but still have work to do on the other two toucans, the orchids, and the butterfly.
These are 13" X 13" Canvases with an image size of 10" X 10".  Still alot of work to do, but I don't like to waste time, paint, or sit and watch paint dry.
The other 10" X 10" Insert coming along, but not nearly finished.  I have a great deal of work to do today...so I better get to it.  Write when I get work.  Let me know if you like anything you see, and I hope all is well in your world.

No comments: